Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Getting Graphic Here...

Let's talk resume's.  I find them to be a pain.  I never know what to include, what not to include, how plain or how creative I should get with it.  I know resume's can be the determining factor in whether or not you get an interview. 

 I am starting to job search again but I need to redo my resume' and want to have one I won't be embarrassed to submit to potential employers.  

Of course I referred back to the lovely Pinterest because I just knew I had a pin for that.  I have pinned this pin before because I loved the look of this resume'.  This blog also  references some other sites with great resume' designs to see.



What do y'all think about getting creative with your resume'?  Is it something you should keep simple and plain or dress up a bit?

Please share any resume' or job search tips you may have.

While we on the the topic of learning new things and do and don'ts....have y'all ever rented your college books?  I have posted about this before but unfortunately I'm old and no longer in school so I don't need college books but I know how expensive they are and wish I had known about this site then. You can rent out your textbooks through this site with their new program called Rent Back. Why not? Sounds like easy money to me.
 If any one has tried it or ends up trying it let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Welllllll I'm no expert resume-builder or anything like that BUT I did have to sit through a ton of lecutres/seminars and whatnot on professionalism and all that fun stuff in business school. Resumes were always a hot topic. While I LIKE the "after" example above, there are a few things you have to be careful of, like having your name be that big (big no-no) and how wordy that looks. I do agree though it's fine to get creative with your font (if you can keep it sleek and professional) and personalize the layout a little bit! Definitely just have to have someone else edit it before you send it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a great opportunity to show your talent if you are in marketing or design! It very much depends on the field you are in how crazy you can get. HR departments get more resumes than they can read in this economy. Making your resume look great is important but key words are still what is going to get your resume looked at in big companies. I like the bit of color on it personally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on what type of job you are applying for. But, I've read numerous articles that say HR people tend to "throw out" fancy resumes and typically look at the plain resumes. I always have someone else help me with mine, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it all depends on your job! I got creative with mine because it was perfectly acceptable for marketing! It also depends on who may be reading the resume. Old people = irrationally upset over creative resumes.

    ReplyDelete