Sunday, January 6, 2013

Just call me Martha...wait don't.

I decided I needed a crafting space.  I have more crafting stuff than Martha yet my parents roomies still have not built me a crafting room onto the house. Rude I know.

Now that I have a sewing machine and Silhouette Cameo I can't just leave this stuff laying around on the floor of my room, because these things make me a profesh. DIYer now duh.

I found an old table in my parent's office, moved the junk that was covering it and decided to repaint it.  I of course googled repainting furniture because I am lazy and did not want to do all that sanding business and I found where several people recommended Zinsser primer, which you just paint and then use whatever paint on top of that.

You will need:
An old/ugly piece of furniture
primer for all surfaces (Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 is what I used)
paint brushes
paint


I found my primer and paint at Home Depot.  I wasn't sure how the wood would take the paint so I bought primer for all surfaces the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 and the paint I used was Behr's Coral Interior Satin Enamel.

I just used cheap foam brushes because I hate cleaning brushes and wanted to be able to just throw them away when I was done.

I  put paper under each of the legs of the table while I painted it because I get lazy and in a hurry, but I probably should have used a drop cloth or plastic on the ground. (I hope Mama didn't have an emotional attachment to that rug in the office)

I repainted the legs white and used the coral for the top.  I did two coats for the legs since they were already white and about 5 coats of coral just because I am obsessive like that.


I didn't realize until I was finished that the table might not fit through the door and hallway to my room, so along the way the table got pretty scratched up.  After some damage was done I saw that the table legs would easily come off. Who knew?  So once I got it into my room I put it back together and did some touching up.

There it is and goes great with my gray walls and I now have a crafting space until I get my dream crafting room. :)

7 comments:

  1. Whooo Hoooo! It looks totally legit to me! Go you! I am too lazy for furniture dealins.
    Great job, shug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Looks great. So that mean the primer works well?
    If so, I'll have to remember that!

    Also, I nominated you for a Liebster if you're interested!
    http://sissy-fits.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    -Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. Text me a pic of it in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you rocked your inner Martha Stewart. Even Martha can't do Martha properly. "Jail time anyone"

    But seriously it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! Love that coral color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am laughing because I would TOTALLY never realize the legs came off until after the struggling fact. I am impressed that you painted it though, it looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's way cute! I'm interested in painting some old/ugly/cheap furniture, but have always been kind of intimidated. I'll have to use that primer! Was it pretty good to paint over?

    ReplyDelete